The San Joaquin County Historical Museum welcomes guests with special needs. Our eight modern exhibit buildings, gift shop, and restrooms are accessible to handicapped guests. Handicapped parking spaces are available close to the Museum entrance.
Experiencing the entire Museum requires considerable walking. Wheelchairs are available on a first-come, first-served basis at no charge.
The Sunshine Trail living exhibition of native plant habitats was designed in 1977 to serve guests with limited vision. It features 15 audio messages, as well as 10 exhibit panels. The new Delta Water Path has 6 audio messages. Both have accessible walkways of hard-packed aggregate.
Some of the Museum’s 18.5 acres have not yet been developed and do not have paved surfaces. The Museum’s four historic buildings are, for the most part, accessible by wheelchair, with understandable limitations given the need to preserve the original architecture.
The 1848 Charles Weber cottage is furnished, but guests are not allowed inside. Views of the cottage interior through the windows may not be accessible to guests in wheelchairs. Please ask Museum staff or volunteers or click here to see a video tour of the interior furnishings (the last quarter of a 9-minute video).
The 1866 Calaveras School is accessible via a ramp to the rear door. Please ask Museum staff to assist you to that vantage point.
The historic blacksmith shop is accessible.
The 1893 Julia Weber house is in an undeveloped portion of the Museum and is not yet open to Museum visitors. Many of the interior rooms of the Julia Weber house are replicated—with the original furnishings—in fully-accessible exhibits in the Erickson building.